Shannon Medical Center offers an American Association of Diabetes Educators recognized program of specialized care for the management and treatment of diabetes. Our approach is individualized to address the very personal concerns that each patient has about his or her condition.
A team of specialists
Our Diabetes Management Program treatment team includes physicians, registered nurses, registered dietitians and other healthcare professionals. Team members offer professional insight and experience from varied disciplines, providing a comprehensive treatment approach to control the progression of diabetes. The patient's primary physician is part of the treatment team and is informed about progress every step of the way.
Shannon's Diabetes Management Program offers specialized care for children and adults. Our program is designed to integrate several components to maximize treatment results and accommodate patients of all ages. These include:
- Inpatient and outpatient treatment.
- Diabetes classes (also offered in Spanish).
- Exercise recommendations.
- Individual counseling for diabetes management.
- Nutritional assessment and recommendations for change available for a variety of diagnoses.
- Certified Bariatric Dietician consultations available.
Symptoms of diabetes
In children or young adults, the common symptoms associated with diabetes include:
- Constant hunger or thirst.
- Frequent urination.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Rapid weight loss.
- Weakness and fatigue.
In adults, the symptoms can include any of the previously mentioned signs, as well as:
- Blurred vision.
- Excessive weight gain.
- Tingling or numbness in feet or hands.
- Frequent skin or other infections and slow healing.
These symptoms may appear suddenly or gradually. Take the diabetes risk test.