Community Health Needs Assessment
Shannon Medical Center completed a comprehensive Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA) in September 2022. The CHNA report involved a year-long study to highlight the more prevalent health needs of residents within Tom Green County.
The report incorporates components of primary data collection and secondary data analyses, which focus on the health and social needs of those living in Tom Green County. Direct input included online surveys, and targeted interviews with key stakeholders to ensure the most vulnerable and disparate populations were represented. Those who contributed to these assessments included healthcare consumers, healthcare professionals, community leaders, county and city officials, educators and others.
Since Shannon began in 1932, we've focused on providing exceptional healthcare resources to our family, friends and neighbors throughout this region. This needs assessment helps us understand our community's needs, so we can continue to be responsive and further develop programs and services to best serve this area.
Some of the most prevalent health needs identified in the study include:
- Lack of Mental Health Providers
- Lack of Health Knowledge/Education
- Adult Obesity
- High Cost of Health Care
- Shortage of Primary Care Physicians
In response to the findings, Shannon Medical Center created an Implementation Strategy Plan that focuses on priority health areas identified in the study: 1) Improve Access to Care; 2) Health Education/Knowledge; and 3) Healthy Living and Adult Obesity.
As a result of the identified priority areas, the following goals and strategies are planned to be implemented in the community over the next three years:
- Connect patients with appropriate health services to improve the availability and delivery of care.
- Provide financial assistance to qualifying patients who are uninsured or underinsured and unable to pay some or all of their medical expenses.
- Improve community awareness of available health and social services, education and support.
- Assure health care and social service providers in the community have the most up-to-date knowledge.
- Increase public awareness of the importance of healthy eating, nutrition, and physical activity.
- Provide opportunities for the public to engage in physical activity.
Conducting a CHNA is a requirement of the Affordable Care Act for charitable, 501(c)3 hospitals at least once every three years.
An entire copy of the 2022 CHNA and Implementation Strategy are available to download on this page.
- Community Health Needs Assessment Implementation Strategy 2023-2025
- Community Health Needs Assessment 2022
- Community Health Needs Assessment Implementation Strategy 2020-2022
- Community Health Needs Assessment 2019
- Community Health Needs Assessment Implementation Plan 2017-2019
- Community Health Needs Assessment 2016
- Community Health Needs Assessment 2013
- Community Health Needs Assessment Implementation Plan 2013-2014
We value your input on Shannon's Community Health Needs Assessment and Implementation Strategy. Please send your comments or questions to Health&Wellness@shannonhealth.org