The Child Life Department at Shannon Medical Center assists infants, children, youth, and their families in coping with the stress of the healthcare setting, trauma, and illness through the provision of developmentally appropriate interventions such as education, preparation, play, and psycho-social support in order to facilitate healing and coping while reducing fear, anxiety and pain.
A Child Life Specialist assists pediatric patients with the stress of illness, injury, or treatment by providing education, play, emotional support, and opportunities for self-expression.
Elizabeth Bailey BSN, RN, NPD-BC, CCLS, has over 25 years of experience in healthcare. She received her certification as a Nurse of Professional Development and is a Certified Child Life Specialist.
Hear Elizabeth share more about Child Life Services at Shannon.
Our Child Life Specialist, Elizabeth Bailey, can be contacted at 325.481.6198 or email@example.com.
To contribute to the Shannon Child Life program, you can make a donation online at or buy directly from the Amazon Wish List.
Resources for Parents
- Supporting Your Child During COVID19 Nasal Swab Testing Source: Source: Mayo Clinic
- How to Help Your Child at the Doctor's Office
- Examples of Comfort Positions
- How to Help Reduce Hurt with Lidocaine Cream for Lab Draw
- How to Help Reduce Hurt with Lidocaine Cream for IV Start
- Tips on How to Support Your Child Having Surgery
- How to Support Your Child in the Hospital through Development Stages
- Information on Developmental Milestones
- Information on Supporting During and After Hospitalization
- Information on and Identifying Medical Trauma
- Helping Children Involved in Traumatic Events
- Resources for Cancer
- How to Help When a Grownup Has Cancer
- How to Help Your Child During Medical Procedures Source: University of Iowa Stead Family Children's Hospital
- Information on Grief
Reducing Hurt During Needle Procedures
Procedures, especially those involving a needle or poke, can be stressful for children or teenagers.
Please click on your child's provider below for helpful tips and schedule of vaccinations.
- Hector Acton, MD
- Alejandra Ayestaran, MD
- Penni Cambre, MD
- Emir Campanini, MD
- Sara Halfmann, MD
- Melissa Hohensee, APRN, MSN, PNP
- Lori Lion, APRN, CPNP-PC
- Lori Looka, APRN, MSN, CPNP
- Stacey Manion, DO, FAAP
- Jennifer Marburger, ACPNP
- Srikanth Podaralla, MD
- Carolyn Riley, MD
- Michelle Sarraff, MD
- Stephen Sawyer, MD
- Saundra Seifert, MD
- Bradley Stevens, PA-C, MPAS
- Michael Wagnon, DO
- Josiah Ward, DO
- Elizabeth Young, MD