If you suffer from acute and/or chronic pain, you suffer from more than just physical discomfort. You also suffer emotionally as a result of that pain. The goal of Shannon's pain management services is to decrease pain and improve your quality of life. We strive to get you back to work and daily activities quickly.
Some pain can be alleviated, while other types of pain cannot, but can be treated and reduced. Our goal is to reach the highest level of pain relief possible, based on each individual's condition.
We have learned over the years that while opioids are the mainstay of treatment in cancer pain, there are little to no randomized controlled trials revealing improvement in functional outcomes or even pain scores with chronic opioid therapy in the non-cancer pain population. In fact, many articles suggest a "downward spiral" in chronic opioid pain patients, with actual worsening pain scores, higher opioid use, decreased functionality, and worsening psychiatric comorbidity in those chronic pain patients treated with opioid therapy. Because of this, we strive to provide proven alternatives to opioid medications. These may include non-opioid medications, physical therapy, pain coping skills training, and injections when appropriate.
The most common types of pain we treat include:
- Back pain
- Neck pain
- Pain that radiates into shoulders and/or arms
- Pain that radiates into hips and/or legs
- Joint pain (knees, hips, shoulders, etc.)
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
Some of the procedures we perform include:
- Cervical Epidural Steroid Injections (ESI)
- Cervical Medial Branch Blocks (MBB)
- Cervical Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA)
- Thoracic ESI
- Lumbar ESI
- Lumbar MBB
- Lumbar RFA
- Caudal ESI
- Sacroiliac joint injections
- A multitude of peripheral nerve and joint blocks
- We also perform spinal cord stimulators for approved indications like failed back surgery syndrome and complex regional pain syndrome.
To learn more, please call 325-481-2247.